Sunday, February 6, 2011

About Organic Food

For years, I have suffered with eczema. I have tried just about every natural and topical remedy that I could find. About 15 years ago, my eczema covered both hands and both forearms. It was so severe that people thought that I was a burn victim. My dermatologist at the time, Dr. Olansky (the elder), gave me bi-monthly steroid shots. The shots were mildly effective; however, I wanted a non-invasive, non-drug remedy. So, I became a vegetarian for a short period of time, during which time my symptoms disappeared. Being the meat-lover that I am I slowly added chicken, beef, tuna and salmon back into my diet.

What I did not seem to fully understand, at the time, was that all food items are NOT the handled with the same care. Farmers around the world have different beliefs about good farming practices. In the U.S., our food supply is generally governed by the USDA, which has banned many pesticides over the years. However, there are still some farmers, worldwide, who chose to disregard the safety of produce and other food, by using harmful pesticides. As I begin to juice more, I have made the decision to only buy organic produce. So, as I head downstairs to throw away the celery and other potential toxic produce, I am preparing my grocery list for my trip to Sevananda in Little Five Points. This food cooperative is dedicated to supporting local farmers, as well as to the belief that healthy food should come from healthy farming practices.

As I move further into my 40's, I am well aware of the fact that my health is directly tied to what I choose to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment